By Andrew D. Lambert
From the guy defined by means of Amanda Foreman as 'one of the main eminent naval historians of our age' comes the tale of ways this country's maritime strength helped Britain achieve unprecedented dominance of the world's economic climate. informed during the lives of ten of our such a lot outstanding admirals, Andrew Lambert's booklet spans Elizabethan occasions to the second one international conflict, culminating with the spirit which led Andrew Browne Cunningham famously to claim, while the military feared he might lose too many ships, 'it takes 3 years to construct a boat; it takes 3 centuries to construct a tradition'.
Read Online or Download Admirals PDF
Best naval books
This ebook examines the character and personality of naval expeditionary battle, specifically in peripheral campaigns, and the contribution of such campaigns to the success of strategic victory. Naval powers, that can lack the big flooring forces to win primarily theatre, frequently decide upon a secondary theatre obtainable to them by way of sea and hard for his or her enemies to arrive by way of land, giving the ocean strength and its expeditionary forces the virtue.
From the guy defined by means of Amanda Foreman as 'one of the main eminent naval historians of our age' comes the tale of the way this country's maritime energy helped Britain achieve unheard of dominance of the world's economic system. informed throughout the lives of ten of our such a lot amazing admirals, Andrew Lambert's booklet spans Elizabethan occasions to the second one international conflict, culminating with the spirit which led Andrew Browne Cunningham famously to claim, while the military feared he could lose too many ships, 'it takes 3 years to construct a boat; it takes 3 centuries to construct a tradition'.
- A Call to the Sea: Captain Charles Stewart of the USS Constitution, Edition: 1ST
- Sextant: A Young Man's Daring Sea Voyage and the Men Who Mapped the World's Oceans
- The Depths of Courage: American Submariners at War with Japan, 1941-1945
- The Royal Navy Officer's Pocket-Book: 1944
Additional resources for Admirals
The art of the admiral is a curious compound of seamanship, tactics, diplomacy and judgement. It calls for leaders of courage and authority, able to inspire their followers and overcome all odds. Like most arts, that of the admiral has a presiding genius, who with a unique combination of experience, education, insight and dedication elevated the art of war at sea to the sublime, creating a command style that was startlingly simple and stunningly complete. Horatio Nelson’s battles were special – they changed the course of history.
12. 1805: Nicolas, Sir N. H. , Letters and Dispatches of Admiral Lord Nelson, London, 1847, Vol. VII, p. 241. 13. The Oxford English Dictionary. THE COURTIER Charles, Lord Howard of Effingham 1536–1624 The crisis of the Elizabethan state began when the Spanish Armada entered the Channel: Lord Howard’s victory off Gravelines proved decisive IN 1513 HENRY VIII WAS AT WAR with France. The English fleet, led by the Lord Admiral, Sir Edward Howard, chased the French fleet into Brest harbour. Before Howard could turn his success to account, raiding the coast and attacking merchant ships, French reinforcements arrived: six Mediterranean war galleys armed with heavy cannon.
ADMIRALS The Naval Commanders who Made Britain Great ANDREW LAMBERT For Zohra and Tama Table of Contents Title Page Dedication List of Plates Preface INTRODUCTION Searching for the Sublime 1: THE COURTIER Charles, Lord Howard of Effingham 1536–1624 2: GOD’S REPUBLICAN WARRIOR Robert Blake 1599–1657 3: THE KING James II, Duke of York 1633–1701 4: SUPREME STRATEGIST George Anson 1697–1762 5: PURSUIT AND PROFESSIONALISM Samuel Hood (1724–1816) and John Jervis (1735–1823) 6: DIPLOMACY AND DETERRENCEWilliam Parker1781–1866 7: THE EMBODIMENT OF THE VICTORIAN NAVY Geoffrey Hornby 1825–95 8: RADICAL REFORM John Fisher 1841–1920 9: RUTHLESS BOUNDER David Beatty 1871–1936 10: TRANSCENDENT TALENT Andrew Cunningham 1883–1963 EPILOGUE Reflections on a Lost Age Notes Index Plates About the Author Copyright List of Plates 1.